Melania Trump is embracing a more active and public schedule as first lady – but she still runs one of the leanest East Wing operations in recent history.
According to a Fox News analysis of White House personnel reports, Melania Trump has significantly reduced the number of aides on the first lady’s office payroll in comparison to her predecessor, Michelle Obama.
During then-President Barack Obama’s first year in office, 16 people were listed working for Michelle Obama, earning a combined $1.24 million a year.
This year, just four people were listed working for Melania Trump as of June. Their salaries totaled $486,700.
- Lindsay B. Reynolds — $179,700.00 — assistant to the president and chief of staff to the first lady
- Stephanie A. Grisham — $115,000.00 – special assistant to the president and director of communications for the first lady
- Timothy G. Tripepi — $115,000.00 – special assistant to the president and deputy chief of staff of operations for the first lady
- Mary‐Kathryn Fisher — $77,000.00 – deputy director of advance for the first lady
- Source: June 2017 report to Congress on White House personnel
The details are contained in an annual report the White House sends to Congress showing the names, positions and salaries of all its personnel. Both the Obama and Trump administrations acknowledged several additional staffers beyond those listed in the report with the term “first lady” in their titles. But even counting all those employees — 24 for Michelle Obama and nine for the current first lady — Melania Trump’s office is relatively small.
It’s an approach her spokeswoman says is intentional.
“As with all things that she does, she is being very deliberate in her hiring, focusing on quality over quantity,” communications director Stephanie Grisham said in an email. “It is important to her that the team is a good fit for what she wants to accomplish as first lady, and that everyone works well together. She also wants to be mindful and responsible when it comes to taxpayer money.”
MELANIA TRUMP SLAMS IVANA FOR CALLING HERSELF FIRST LADY
While the 2009 annual report listed 16 staffers for Michelle Obama, her press secretary said at the time the staff actually included 24 people. A 2009 FactCheck.org story said Obama’s 24 aides might have broken records.
“That may indeed be the largest of any first lady, but Hillary Clinton, with 19 staffers, and Laura Bush with at least 18 and perhaps more, weren’t far behind,” FactCheck.org said.
- Susan S. Sher — $172,200.00 — assistant to the president and chief of staff to the first lady
- Jocelyn C. Frye — $140,000.00 — deputy assistant to the president and director of policy and projects for the first lady
- Camille Y. Johnston — $102,000.00 – special assistant to the president and director of communications for the first lady
- Melissa E. Winter — $102,000.00 – special assistant to the president and deputy chief of staff to the first lady
- David S. Medina — $90,000.00 – deputy chief of staff to the first lady
- Catherine M. Lelyveld — $84,000.00 director and press secretary to the first lady
- Frances M. Starkey — $75,000.00 – director of scheduling and advance for the first lady
- Trooper Sanders — $70,000.00 — deputy director of policy and projects for the first lady
- Jennifer R. Goodman — $62,000.00 – deputy director of scheduling and events coordinator for the first lady
- Alan Fitts — $60,000.00 – deputy director of advance and trip director for the first lady
- Dana M. Lewis — $60,000.00 – special assistant and personal aide to the first lady
- Semonti M. Mustaphi –…